Cognitive assessments are given to children to determine the impact of intellectual ability, academic skills, behaviors, and cognitive functioning on academic and psychological functioning. The results of the assessment assist in diagnoses and treatment of normal and abnormal developmental, educational, medical, psychiatric, and neuropsychological difficulties.
Referrals are commonly made for the following:
– Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
– Educational Accommodations
– Learning Difficulties:
– Developmental Reading Disorder
– Mathematics Disorder
– Writing Disorder/Dysgraphia
– Speech/Language and Communication Disorders
– Elimination Disorders
– Complex Medical Conditions
– Traumatic Brain Injury
Additionally, Sankofa psychologists can screen for Autism Spectrum Disorders to determine if further testing with an Autism Spectrum Disorder specialist is necessary.